At Essentia Health-Oak Crossing, we tailor our approach to meet the needs of you or your loved one. Our long-term care center has four distinct neighborhoods—each serving 25 or fewer residents. This allows our residents to get to know their neighbors and allows our staff to get to know our residents. We also have a separate transitional care unit.
As a long-term care center in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, we know how important community is. Our “Main Street” features spaces for events, activities, or gathering with family and friends. We’re also connected to Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Detroit Lakes hospital, clinic, and therapy center. You’ll find us at the corner of Oak Street and Lincoln Avenue. As one of Essentia Health’s Catholic facilities, we strive to provide holistic healing for all human life.
Get a wide range of services within our long-term care center, including:
- 24-hour skilled nursing care
- Transitional care (23-bed unit) – Temporary care when hospital-level care isn’t needed but patients aren’t ready to go home, like after a surgery or accident
- Respite care – Temporary care when normal caregiver isn’t available through Hospice of the Red River Valley
- Hospice care – Compassionate end-of-life care through Hospice of the Red River Valley
- Behavioral and mental health
- Wellness program – Helps keep residents active and doing exercises after therapy sessions
- Social services
- Chaplain services – Spiritual care
- Physical, occupational, and speech-language therapy in attached St. Mary’s Therapy Center
- Wound care
- Physicians and medical providers who make “house calls”
Make yourself at home at Oak Crossing. We invite you to enjoy our:
- Private and double rooms where you can bring your own furniture.
- Free in-room cable
- Three healthy meals a day served in each neighborhood kitchen
- Open kitchen, dining room, and living room in each neighborhood
- Barber and beauty salon services
- Laundry services
- Dressing, grooming, and daily needs services
- Main-street setting for gatherings and happy hour
- Free resident and guest Wi-Fi
- Planned activities, both on and off site
Oak Crossing has been part of the Detroit Lakes area senior care setting for generations. The building that would become Oak Crossing was built in 1976 and purchased by St. Mary’s Hospital in 1988. At the time, it was known as St. Mary’s Nursing Center. In 2009, Essentia Health-Oak Crossing was renovated and expanded to meet a growing demand for spacious, private rooms.
Make a difference in the lives of our residents. Volunteer to help at mealtime, organize activities, or simply visit. Call the Detroit Lakes hospital volunteer department at 218-844-0709 to learn more.
The Oak Crossing Family Council works to improve the quality of our residents' lives. The council invites families to share their experiences with staff and other families as well as raise funds for the facility. Each month, the council invites speakers to educate families on current health challenges of the aging population.
The Family Council meets the first Thursday of every month at noon in the Oak Crossing Chapel.
Compliments & Complaints
If you’d like to share a compliment, concern, or suggestion, please contact our administrator Christy Brinkman. You can also fill out our online compliments and complaints form.
Residents are welcome to invite family and friends to visit at any time.