No one imagines a child’s birth turning into a long hospital stay. But, if it does, our level III NICU offers patient- and family-centered care for a safe and comfortable environment for our tiniest patients and parents / visitors.
• Parent Partnership
– Parents are welcome 24 hours a day.
- Private rooms – giving parents the intimate setting to stay with their baby and participate in their care
- Kangaroo skin-to-skin care
- Parents can sleep in the baby’s room
- Nutritional support for breastfeeding mothers
• Team approach
– We encourage parents to be an active partner with their baby’s health care team.
- Neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners are available in-house 24/7 to answer questions
- Daily multidisciplinary care rounds – which include neonatologist, nurses, clinical nurse specialist,
social worker, pharmacist, dietician, pediatric therapies and chaplains
- Bedside nursing shift report with parents, if present
• Parent Education
– We want to help you gain confidence in the care of your child by giving you
opportunities to learn and to care for your baby.
- Development and special needs education
- Massage therapy for babies
- Parent-to-parent mentorship program
- Bedside education with your baby’s nurse
– Each private room is equipped with state-of-the-art monitoring and technology.
– We adhere to comprehensive safety guidelines.
- Locked unit – guests identified with a wrist band will have access 24 hours a day
- Safe Baby® – each mother’s breast milk is barcoded and scanned prior to every feeding
- Hugs® security system – Depending on your baby’s weight, an electronic tag attached to his/her foot to
be monitored 24/7 while they are in the hospital
• Follow-up Services
– The neonatologists may suggest additional services for your child.
- Developmental Clinic
- Home Apnea Monitor Program
- Lactation Support
- Therapy Services
• Neonatal Transport Team
– Our specialized team knows how to evaluate, stabilize and transport babies.
- If you give birth anywhere in the region and your baby needs specialized care, know that your baby is in
safe hands throughout their journey to St. Mary’s Children’s Hospital – NICU.